Friday, July 22, 2016

Matthew 5:10-12

Matthew 5:10-12 NIV

Blessed are those who are persecuted because of righteousness, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven. “Blessed are you when people insult you, persecute you and falsely say all kinds of evil against you because of me. Rejoice and be glad, because great is your reward in heaven, for in the same way they persecuted the prophets who were before you.

This is the eighth and final beattitude. Even though there's a ninth "blessed are" statement, it's simply commentary on the last beattitude.

Matthew 5:10 NIV

Blessed are those who are persecuted because of righteousness, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.

As I read this beattitude I wonder what righteousness is, but then I've covered that in a previous reflection on those who hunger and thirst for righteousness. It is to be in right relationship with God and others by obeying God's law. Love fulfills the law, so do to others what you would have them do to you. However, because of sin, we don't always treat others as we should. Our hearts need to be set free from sin by the greater power of grace. Once we are restored to God through faith in Christ, we are given God's righteousness. We are then assisted by His grace through the Holy Spirit, whom we received upon believing, to grow in divine righteousness. It is not a righteousness of our own, but one given to us through faith.

Why would anyone want to persecute a Christian because of righteousness? Why would someone insult, deride, curse and falsely accuse a person who does what is right according to God's word? It is because those who are of the flesh, meaning controlled by sin, do not want the same things, as those who are lead by the Spirit of the Lord. Our values are in conflict.

Jesus said,

John 15:18-21 NIV

“If the world hates you, keep in mind that it hated me first. If you belonged to the world, it would love you as its own. As it is, you do not belong to the world, but I have chosen you out of the world. That is why the world hates you. Remember what I told you: ‘A servant is not greater than his master.’ If they persecuted me, they will persecute you also. If they obeyed my teaching, they will obey yours also. They will treat you this way because of my name, for they do not know the one who sent me.

Christians are persecuted by those who do not know God, the One who sent Christ Jesus into the world. Seems simple enough, however, let us remember that Christians also fail in their pursuit of righteousness. Though we possess the greater power of grace, we still yield to sinful temptations and stain the reputation of the church of Christ. We are rightfully persecuted when we are guilty of sin. We are rightfully persecuted when we judge others harshly, when our Lord has commanded us not to judge others. We've got enough of our own shortcomings to address than to spend time pointing out others' wrongdoing.

Matthew 7:5 NIV

You hypocrite, first take the plank out of your own eye, and then you will see clearly to remove the speck from your brother’s eye.

When we are truly seeking God's Kingdom and righteousness, seeking to become like Christ, diligently cooperating with the grace given us, then we will see the kingdom of heaven. The kingdom of heaven belongs to you. It is a gift from God to those who truly believe.

Luke 12:32-34 NIV

“Do not be afraid, little flock, for your Father has been pleased to give you the kingdom. Sell your possessions and give to the poor. Provide purses for yourselves that will not wear out, a treasure in heaven that will never fail, where no thief comes near and no moth destroys. For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also.

This teaching of Jesus, from Luke's gospel, is a good litmus test for American Christians. We are wealthy compared to many in the world. We live in excess. The USA is only 4.4% of the world's 7.1 billion (2015 statistics), yet we consume 80% off the world's resources. Americans are continually bombarded with marketing and advertising pushing us to buy. We have many possessions.

I have a massive music collection and a growing film collection. I've been buying for years. I live music. I love movies. Now with streaming services I have access to nearly everything. Am I willing to sell my collection so I can be generous to those in need of the basic necessities of life? No, I am not. I confess my sinful attachment to the things of this earth. Therefore a part of me longs for this world, not the kingdom of heaven. My heart is divided. When I get more excited about a new Star Wars movie than I do about Sunday worship, there's a telling sign that says my heart does not fully belong to God. I've always been a kind of Christian with his feet in both worlds, the sinful fallen one, and the coming kingdom of heaven. I live in this tension. I suspect most of us do.

The kingdom of heaven is ours if we truly desire it. Our path there means letting go all of our earthly entanglements: possessions, relationships, achievements, pleasures and power. Some choose the ascetic life, but that is not for me. I'm walking on a wire between these two loves, my love of the wonderful gift of this life, and my deep desire for the world to come, the world made new. God's grace has a way of maturing my faith such that less and less I feel I need the things of this world. I trust He will complete the good work He began in me. He will lead us all into the kingdom of heaven when we admit to ourselves that it is our heart's desire.

You may be unpopular when you choose the things of God over the things of this earth, but you are blessed when you do for you are that much closer to your divine destiny, the loving and lifegiving embrace of the Lord. As you let go of the things of this world, you are free to receive the kingdom and in a better place to love others generously as your life shows the way.

No comments:

Post a Comment