Tuesday, September 20, 2016

Matthew 13:1-9, 18-23

Matthew 13:1-9, 18-23 NIV

That same day Jesus went out of the house and sat by the lake. Such large crowds gathered around him that he got into a boat and sat in it, while all the people stood on the shore. Then he told them many things in parables, saying: “A farmer went out to sow his seed. As he was scattering the seed, some fell along the path, and the birds came and ate it up. Some fell on rocky places, where it did not have much soil. It sprang up quickly, because the soil was shallow. But when the sun came up, the plants were scorched, and they withered because they had no root. Other seed fell among thorns, which grew up and choked the plants. Still other seed fell on good soil, where it produced a crop—a hundred, sixty or thirty times what was sown. Whoever has ears, let them hear.”
“Listen then to what the parable of the sower means: When anyone hears the message about the kingdom and does not understand it, the evil one comes and snatches away what was sown in their heart. This is the seed sown along the path. The seed falling on rocky ground refers to someone who hears the word and at once receives it with joy. But since they have no root, they last only a short time. When trouble or persecution comes because of the word, they quickly fall away. The seed falling among the thorns refers to someone who hears the word, but the worries of this life and the deceitfulness of wealth choke the word, making it unfruitful. But the seed falling on good soil refers to someone who hears the word and understands it. This is the one who produces a crop, yielding a hundred, sixty or thirty times what was sown.”

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Matthew has 23 parables, whereas Luke has 28. The gospel of Mark only has 9. John has no parables at all, although Jesus still speaks in riddles in John's account.

Parables are short stories that teach a spiritual truth about God, humanity, or the condition of Israel and its leadership. Parables generally utilize a comparison of one thing to another. For example Jesus compared the kingdom of God to a mustard seed. The seed is small but grows to become the largest tree in the garden. So it is with the kingdom. It begins with a small number of believers, but became the most significant movement in human history.

In the famous Parable of the Sower, Jesus speaks of four types of soil to compare to the human heart. A farmer scatters seed upon all four types and each produces results by nature of the soil's condition.

The hardened path bears no harvest. Lying upon the surface of the footpath, the birds eat up the seeds. The human heart can get stepped on. When our hearts are hurt, we naturally build up walls to protect ourselves from further injury. Some hearts have been trodden upon enough to become hard like a footpath. Nothing is getting in. So when the gospel of hope is presented, there's no benefit. The devil has already eaten up what faith or trust there was in their heart.

Other hearts are like the shallow soil filled with stone, when they hear the gospel they are joyful at first, but when the Christian life proves to be difficult in the face of persecution or troubles, they quickly lose interest and go back as they were. No harvest here either because faith has wilted.

Other hearts are like the weed and thorn infested soil. Faith gets choked out by worries and greed. If there is any benefit at all to their faith it becomes only a personal asset for their own use, and not a faith that grows the kingdom of God. Their self-centeredness negates any lasting benefit to others. These hearts are too focused on their own problems to see others. Their desires to gain more of the world's treasures keeps them from contributing to the work of the kingdom of heaven.

Finally there are hearts like good fertile soil. Such soil produces an abundant harvest. Such receptive hearts receive the gospel, follow Jesus, and transform this world with the love of God.

It seems pretty simple. The parable invites self reflection. What is my heart like? You can easily tell by looking at the results of your faith, your impact upon the world for Christ's sake. Or you can ask yourself which soil do you identify with most. Likely there's a little bit of each in your heart.

My experience is there are times when my heart is like the hardened path. I've been hurt and I circle the wagons in a defensive posture. Trust in others is low. Sometimes, depending on the tragedy I face, I may even question my trust in God. But even a hardened path can become fertile and tillable soil. Add water, a spade, rake and perhaps some sort of fertilizer, and the soil will likely yield produce. In the same way love heals a hurting heart, like water softens the path. Patient listening, compassion, and understanding are interventions like the spade and rake. And the word of God, which gives hope, is a soul nurturing additive like nutrient rich fertilizer.

My heart has been like the shallow soil, a field filled with stone. My heart has been filled with hurts and resentments that have kept God's love from going very deep. But a stone filled field can be cleared of stone. It's back breaking work, but it brings an agricultural capacity to that field that was not there before. I've certainly grown in my capacity to love and be loved, but my heart is not fully cleared of obstacles to grace. There are parts of me that live like Jesus and others that are still shallow, still in need of stone removal to increase the capability of my heart to share God's love.

And my heart has been like the thorn infested soil. I lived the greed generation in the eighties. I know what it's like to have my heart set on gaining things, getting promotions, chasing the bigger salary, and working to build my influence and public image. It's a relentless agenda that leaves little room for God. What faith I had was used to nurture and assist my own agenda, not God's will for my life. When the glittering prizes failed me, I knew where to turn. I turned to the Master Gardener who helped me pull the weeds, thorns and thistles. He helped me recognize the things in my life that needed to go. He helped me prioritize my life according to His plan. And He helped me to see that chasing after worldly wealth and worrying about tomorrow will never satisfy. Seeking the kingdom of God and His righteousness is the priority.

I would say there have been times when my heart was good soil. God was able to use me to impact others positively and advance His kingdom. But I'm not aware of all God has done. Sometimes a simple conversation, from my perspective, becomes a life changing event for the other. More than once I've been surprised by church members who've shared how something I've said or done had impacted them positively.

I'm sure the same is true for you. We are all a work in progress. We are God's handiwork created for good works in Jesus Christ. (Eph 2:10) When you are living into God's will for your life, and seeking to build His kingdom of love on earth, you will be planting seeds of the kingdom in the hearts you encounter. Join Christ in scattering seeds of hope, faith and love. As you go, give your heart to the Master Gardener to help you become increasingly useful and productive for Christ. And the world will be blessed because of you.

No comments:

Post a Comment