Saturday, October 29, 2016

Matthew 20:1-16

Matthew 20:1-16 NIV

“For the kingdom of heaven is like a landowner who went out early in the morning to hire workers for his vineyard. He agreed to pay them a denarius for the day and sent them into his vineyard.
“About nine in the morning he went out and saw others standing in the marketplace doing nothing. He told them, ‘You also go and work in my vineyard, and I will pay you whatever is right.’ So they went.
“He went out again about noon and about three in the afternoon and did the same thing.
About five in the afternoon he went out and found still others standing around. He asked them, ‘Why have you been standing here all day long doing nothing?’
“ ‘Because no one has hired us,’ they answered.
“He said to them, ‘You also go and work in my vineyard.’
“When evening came, the owner of the vineyard said to his foreman, ‘Call the workers and pay them their wages, beginning with the last ones hired and going on to the first.’
“The workers who were hired about five in the afternoon came and each received a denarius. So when those came who were hired first, they expected to receive more. But each one of them also received a denarius. When they received it, they began to grumble against the landowner.
‘These who were hired last worked only one hour,’ they said, ‘and you have made them equal to us who have borne the burden of the work and the heat of the day.’
“But he answered one of them, ‘I am not being unfair to you, friend. Didnʼt you agree to work for a denarius? Take your pay and go. I want to give the one who was hired last the same as I gave you. Donʼt I have the right to do what I want with my own money? Or are you envious because I am generous?’
“So the last will be first, and the first will be last.”

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I have a belief that treasure in heaven is based on good works. The more good works you do, the greater your treasure. Entrance to heaven is not based on good works, but in faith in God's mercy through Jesus Christ. We cannot do enough to earn our way into heaven. Christ has done all that is required. We only need to believe and trust in Him as our savior and friend. But works are important. Works that have a divine impact are the very result of faith. We were made for good works.

For we are Godʼs handiwork, created in Christ Jesus to do good works, which God prepared in advance for us to do.
Ephesians 2:10 NIV

And according to scripture we will be judged by our works.

For we must all appear before the judgment seat of Christ, so that each of us may receive what is due us for the things done while in the body, whether good or bad.
2 Corinthians 5:10 NIV

Jesus' parable flies in the face of my belief if read as a depiction of heaven. It would lead me to believe that all believers receive the same reward when we enter eternity. Yet that doesn't line up with other passages where varying levels of reward are discussed. What follows are several passages illustrating my point. Skim through a few.

“So when you give to the needy, do not announce it with trumpets, as the hypocrites do in the synagogues and on the streets, to be honored by others. Truly I tell you, they have received their reward in full. But when you give to the needy, do not let your left hand know what your right hand is doing, so that your giving may be in secret. Then your Father, who sees what is done in secret, will reward you.
Matthew 6:2-4 NIV

“Blessed are you when people insult you, persecute you and falsely say all kinds of evil against you because of me. Rejoice and be glad, because great is your reward in heaven...
Matthew 5:11-12 NIV

Whoever welcomes a prophet as a prophet will receive a prophetʼs reward, and whoever welcomes a righteous person as a righteous person will receive a righteous personʼs reward. And if anyone gives even a cup of cold water to one of these little ones who is my disciple, truly I tell you, that person will certainly not lose their reward.”
Matthew 10:41-42 NIV

What good will it be for someone to gain the whole world, yet forfeit their soul? Or what can anyone give in exchange for their soul? For the Son of Man is going to come in his Fatherʼs glory with his angels, and then he will reward each person according to what they have done.
Matthew 16:26-27 NIV

But many who are first will be last, and many who are last will be first.
Matthew 19:30 NIV

And probably most convincing of all, that there are varying levels of reward in the new age in the kingdom of heaven, is Paul's writing in his first letter to the Corinthians.

For no one can lay any foundation other than the one already laid, which is Jesus Christ. If anyone builds on this foundation using gold, silver, costly stones, wood, hay or straw, their work will be shown for what it is, because the Day will bring it to light. It will be revealed with fire, and the fire will test the quality of each personʼs work. If what has been built survives, the builder will receive a reward. If it is burned up, the builder will suffer loss but yet will be saved—even though only as one escaping through the flames.
1 Corinthians 3:11-15 NIV

I will admit that it could be argued that all of these passages have less to do with afterlife rewards and more to do with our quality of life now through the spiritual rewards that come from following Christ and becoming like Him in heart and mind. Jesus beckons His disciples to store up treasures in heaven. You decide what you believe.

Having stated my case about believing there are varying degrees of heavenly reward based on what we've done in this life, let's look at this parable from a different angle. I think this parable is less about reward, and more about God's mercy and generosity.

The late comers are given the same pay as those who worked all day from the landowner. This seemed unfair to the early workers. When they complained the landowner asked if they were jealous because of his generosity. They worked for the agreed to customary wages for a dayworker.

I certainly think it's unfair to pay the men who worked one hour a day's wage, but this parable is a metaphor pointing to the inclusion of gentiles into God's people. The Christians Jews struggled with this notion for a time. It could also point to the Jews who have abandoned law keeping righteousness and lived sinful lives. At Jesus' preaching they repented and came to faith, seeking forgiveness. It's never too late to come in from the dark and walk with Christ into the light of life. No matter when you respond to God's claim on your life, there is an abundance of God's love and mercy for you.

Whatever my reward, I don't think I'll be dissatisfied in heaven. I don't think I'll be unhappy with my lot. I've done some good. I've done some evil. I've neglected helping others and chosen to serve the needs of my family and my own comfort. God is just and I trust in His righteousness and His mercy through Christ. I doubt I'll be first in the kingdom because of my American tendencies toward luxuries and entertainment, but I don't think I'll be last in line either. And I hope I won't be jealous of the reward others receive. What's important is to help each other on the journey to be welcomed at the gates of paradise.


No comments:

Post a Comment