Wednesday, November 30, 2016

Matthew 26:17-35

Matthew 26:17-35 NIV

On the first day of the Festival of Unleavened Bread, the disciples came to Jesus and asked, “Where do you want us to make preparations for you to eat the Passover?”
He replied, “Go into the city to a certain man and tell him, ‘The Teacher says: My appointed time is near. I am going to celebrate the Passover with my disciples at your house.’ ” 
So the disciples did as Jesus had directed them and prepared the Passover. When evening came, Jesus was reclining at the table with the Twelve. And while they were eating, he said, “Truly I tell you, one of you will betray me.”
They were very sad and began to say to him one after the other, “Surely you donʼt mean me, Lord?”
Jesus replied, “The one who has dipped his hand into the bowl with me will betray me. The Son of Man will go just as it is written about him. But woe to that man who betrays the Son of Man! It would be better for him if he had not been born.”
Then Judas, the one who would betray him, said, “Surely you donʼt mean me, Rabbi?”
Jesus answered, “You have said so.”
While they were eating, Jesus took bread, and when he had given thanks, he broke it and gave it to his disciples, saying, “Take and eat; this is my body.” Then he took a cup, and when he had given thanks, he gave it to them, saying, “Drink from it, all of you. This is my blood of the covenant, which is poured out for many for the forgiveness of sins. I tell you, I will not drink from this fruit of the vine from now on until that day when I drink it new with you in my Fatherʼs kingdom.”
When they had sung a hymn, they went out to the Mount of Olives. Then Jesus told them, “This very night you will all fall away on account of me, for it is written:

“ ‘I will strike the shepherd, and the sheep of the flock will be scattered.’

But after I have risen, I will go ahead of you into Galilee.”
Peter replied, “Even if all fall away on account of you, I never will.”
“Truly I tell you,” Jesus answered, “this very night, before the rooster crows, you will disown me three times.”
But Peter declared, “Even if I have to die with you, I will never disown you.” And all the other disciples said the same.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Betrayal, denial, death and forgiveness: these are themes hanging in the wind on the night of the Last Supper in the upper room. Judas has already accepted money to hand Jesus over to the religious authorities, yet he sits among the apostles with Jesus, partaking in the Passover meal. Peter, brash and naive as ever, promises to die with Jesus if necessary, but He will deny he ever knew Him before the night is over.

The Passover meal is a remembrance of God's deliverance of the Hebrews from slavery in Egypt. The last of the ten plagues with which God cursed Egypt was the death of the firstborn. The angel of death took the lives of the firstborn of every household, rich and poor, and every animal, but the Hebrews were spared. They placed the blood of a sacrificed lamb over their door frames and the angel of death passed over their homes.

Jesus reinterpreted the Passover meal as a memorial for a new kind of deliverance. It was a deliverance from sin and death. The New Testament proclaims that humanity is in slavery to the power of sin. Sinful passions reside in our flesh, our hearts, minds and deep within our genetic memory. And we cannot resist the power of these passions completely. There are those who practice self mastery, but deep down it's a constant struggle when you try to resist. No one is perfect and no one can sustain perpetual righteousness. That is why we need a savior.

Jesus came that we might be free. His grace is greater than the power of sin. His life is greater than the power of death. Through faith we share in His grace and life. We share in His resurrection. Therefore we are made anew. Our inner lives are transformed. We are forgiven our sins and we are empowered by God to resist temptation and become like Christ. Even with faith a flawless walk seems impossible. Mercy abounds through the cross of Christ! Victory over sin and death is yours in His resurrection.

Jesus took bread and broke it and gave it to His disciples saying, "This is my body broken for you." Indeed He would be beaten, whipped bloody and tortured. His body would be pierced for our transgressions. He took the cup of wine and said the wine was His blood poured out for us for the forgiveness of sins. All who were there partook of the meal. All received this grace, including Judas who was planning to betray Him.

When Jesus told the group one of the apostles would betray Him, they all responded, "Surely not I, Lord!" We don't sell out for 30 pieces of silver like Judas did, but there are any number of ways that we can betray Jesus.

What in essence is betrayal? Betrayal, according to Webster, is

1: to lead astray; especially : seduce
2: to deliver to an enemy by treachery
3: to fail or desert especially in time of need <betrayed his family>
4 a: to reveal unintentionally <betray one's true feelings>
b: show, indicate
c: to disclose in violation of confidence <betray a secret>

When you think of your walk with the Lord, which of these most accurately describes a time when you betrayed Jesus?

I have led others astray in ways that are not God's ways. I have followed those who betrayed me into ways not of God. I have failed to serve others in a time of need. As you know, failure to care for the least of these is to neglect (or betray) the Lord. And I have betrayed Jesus by not representing His followers in the best light by setting a poor example. Yes, I have betrayed Jesus in my walk with Him. But my first reaction is to say, "Surely not I, Lord!"

Peter was convinced that he'd never betray Jesus, but before the night was over he denied that he knew Jesus three times. I've denied that I know Jesus by ways I have behaved over the years. But even still Jesus bled and died so that I might be reconciled to God through forgiveness and reborn through grace. Just as Jesus restored Peter after his fall from grace, He also restored me to my place as His own.

I end with lyrics from a communion hymn sung during contemporary services for the Lord's Supper.

Eat this bread.
Drink this cup.
Come to me and never go hungry.
Eat this bread.
Drink this cup.
Come to me and you will not thirst.

No comments:

Post a Comment