Sunday, June 26, 2016

Matthew 5:5

Matthew 5:5 NIV

Blessed are the meek, for they will inherit the earth.

What does it mean to be meek? Meek is not a word that gets used much in everyday conversation. Weak, wimp, wuss; these kind of words are more familiar. Is that what Jesus meant?

The Greek word is prays (sounds like prow'-uhs). It means a person with a gentle spirit, a mild disposition. Remember that the values of the kingdom of heaven run counter to the values of the world. A mild mannered Clark Kent was Superman's disguise. No one would ever suspect such a personality to be the man of steel, courageous and undefeatable. A gentle soul might be respected, but few of us would consider such a person as leadership material. Our heroes are tough minded, bold, fearless and brash. According to Jesus the meek are blessed. Happy are the meek because they will inherit the earth.

The Greek word translated as earth is ga. It has many meanings. It could mean dirt or soil, good for growing crops. It could mean the solid ground on which we stand. Or it could mean a specific region, like the land of the Jews, Palestine or Canaan, the promised land. The word might mean the entire globe. Or it could mean the dwelling of humans and animals. According to my interlinear notes, Jesus' teaching means the latter. The meek shall inherit their place among men. It sounds vindicating doesn't it? When the kingdom of heaven comes in its fullness, the eyes of humanity will no longer be blinded by the values of this current era. What God values will be their own. We will finally understand that brute force only yields short term gains and longer term enmity. Violence begets violence. But humility and gentleness invites strong bonds of friendship.

Perhaps a gentle soul might seem boring and uninteresting to me. I'd rather hang with the life of the party kind of people, ones who inspire me or make me laugh. But I've learned that gentle people are consistently the kind of people to be counted on. And over the years my admiration for them has grown. I'd likely do whatever they ask of me, because of my admiration. The meek, that I know personally, have a place of influence with me.

I've met these gentle souls in the church, in Scouting, and in community theater, interestingly enough. Not all actors are larger than life off the stage. Some are very down to earth. Many of these gentle souls are mature in age. They've gained a peaceful disposition with the wisdom earned through the years. Some just seem to be born that way. They come from family environments that are gentle and mild mannered. However the meek got to be meek, I only know I'm not one of them. I'm not mild or gentle. I come from loud and boisterous, and a little bit ornery kind of people. You had to have thick skin to survive among my people. If I'm to find my place in the kingdom of heaven, I doubt it will be through this blessing. Unless the Lord fundamentally changes who I am, I don't think I'll ever be meek. I don't think I'd be happy trying to be mild mannered. It's just not me. So where does that leave me; on the outside, far from a place among godly men? I don't think so.

The point of Jesus' beattitudes is not to draw up barriers, but to invite inclusion to those who've been marginalized all their lives. The poor, the mild mannered, the mourning, and the peaceniks; these will find full inclusion and happiness in the kingdom of heaven. They will have an honored place at the table of the Lord. Often Jesus said those who are first in this life will be last in the kingdom, but those who are last shall be first. If you want to be honored in the kingdom of heaven become a servant, a humble slave, to others.

The Lord invites me to stop chasing after worldly trophies and accolades. Instead I am called to value what Jesus values, compassionate care for the poor, sick, depressed, and marginalized. I am called to love and serve them as my master. For when I do good unto the least among humanity, I've done good unto the Lord Jesus, the King of Kings.

What a blessing that would be!

No comments:

Post a Comment